Monday, October 4, 2010

Heracles 13th Labor

13th Labor of Heracles
After Heracles brought Cerberus back to Hades he went back to the King and said “I am finished with all my labors I don’t need to be here.” King Eurystheus just nodded and said “Yes you may leave. But to prove you are worthy to leave you must withstand the curse of Achilles. Yes you must Bath in the river Styx and then capture and bring me one of the Sirens.” Heracles nodded and said “It will be done.”
He went back to the Underworld to talk to Hades. “Hades what are the chances I will survive bathing in the river Styx.” He asked. Hades looked at him in ah for not many would do this challenge. After a moment of silence he said “You are strong, and Achilles was strong I suppose you could survive this, but you would need to focus on one memory that would tie you to this earth and one physical area that would tie you to the earth.” Heracles knew this was something that had to be done so he set off to the river Styx.
As he descended down the path to the shore of Styx he was comforted by a spirit. The spirit asked           “What is thy name?” Heracles stuttered and said “Heracles is my name” The figure nodded and said “I am Achilles I guard this river from those who wish to follow my path.” Heracles nodded for he realized who he was. “I know who you are.” Heracles said. The spirit looked at eye brows raised “Oh so you do well then you know what kind of idiot I was, Heracles. For I know that you have come for a labor that you must do without this curse.” Heracles just looked at him and said “I don’t know what you are talking about.” The spirit of Achilles just looked at him and said “Well if I can’t stop you then I must let you do what must be done.” With that the spirit of Achilles left and Heracles left the shores and went into the water.
At first Heracles was in excruciating pain but as he moved he felt power that he had never felt before. He left the underworld and went to a sea harbor to gather information. “Excuse me sir but I was wondering if you knew where the sirens dwelt.” Heracles asked a local merchant. “Of course I know where they are.” he answered and then pointed across the river and said “They live in those cave over there but no one really goes down that side of the river because they are drawn by the Sirens song and then never seen again.” Heracles thanked the man and asked “May I borrow your boat for the after- noon.” The merchant said “What for?” Heracles answered saying “I am going to catch one of those Sirens.”
Heracles eventual got the boat and set off on his journey.  As he was crossing the water heard a strange sound that sounded like singing. As soon as he heard that he shoved candle wax in his ears and went into the sirens lair. As he went through the cavern he saw what everyone was scared of the Sirens looked like birds giant birds with woman heads. He saw that they were asleep and so he set to work getting his net ready. With the net ready he tossed it over one of the Sirens and drugged her to his boat. When he reached the other side he tossed a gold Drachma to the merchant and said while he was in ah “Thanks for the boat.” and then started his journey back to King Eurystheus. It had been 5 years since the king had saw him but here he was walking up the isle with a giant bird woman on his shoulders he was so frightened that he had a heart attack and died. Well Heracles let the bird woman go and went home because he had proven his worthiness.         

No comments:

Post a Comment